Monday, April 30, 2007

A short break

Well, school is finally out for the summer! Yeah, I am finally free... woot!

I have set some goals that I want to achieve over the summer in the world of art. My goals include finishing a few paintings that were started during the school semester that were never finished due to time and other projects. Both of these were for my Illustration Media Techniques class. Up to this point I am very excited about these two pieces because I feel that they have a lot of potential to be very good. I really want to post them, but I will refrain from doing so until I think they are done and presentable.

One of my other goals is that I want to work on portraits. I went and bought some canvases to work on. I want to get about 6 or 7 done over the summer. I even have the subjects all picked out, but I will not say who they will be at this point for fear of ruining the surprise. In case you didn't guess, I will be working from photo reference on these, but I think that will actually be a benefit to me because I can spend the time necessary to make sure they are good without the need to have someone sit for hours on end while I paint them.

And finally, I bought a new 6x8 Intuos3 Wacom Tablet. This has to do with my final goal. I want to learn to use it effectively and try my hand at digital painting. So far I am not very good at it and need to work on my control. The pen feels a little odd at first and I need to get used to the way it feels on the tablet surface. I am trying the different pen tabs to see if they make a difference, and I may even try taping a piece of paper over the tablet area to try and simulate the feel of actually drawing on paper. I have also started tweaking the setting to make it respond better to how I use it. Anyway, this will be fun and I am looking forward to playing with it more. So, in the future you may start seeing digital paintings here as well as all the other stuff I have been posting.

Anyway, that is all for right now. I have been taking a break for a few days, but I will be getting back to work on painting/drawing tomorrow.

No comments: